Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie

Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
...with milk, of course!



Preheat oven to 350-degrees.  Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet/pan.  In another area of this same blog, I write about my supply of parchment paper--  it's right here:  http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/search?q=parchment+paper

I dump all of the following ingredients into my Kitchen Aid stand mixer (in the order given).  Because of the simple way I put these together, and with the oven pre-heating from the start, I can have a batch of these cookies mixed and baked in about 25 minutes (or less?):

1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed  (sometimes, I use the dark variety)
1 ½ cups room temperature unsalted butter (3 sticks)
....mix the above until light and FLUFFY, and then add:

3 large eggs, added one at a time
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon salt (regular table salt)  You may decrease this amount by 1/2                               teaspoon IF you use salted butter.
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
...mix the above combination until blended very well.  Then, add:

1 of 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
...it might sound odd, and you surely don't have to do this, but I add the chips to the above BEFORE I add the flour.  That way, some of the chips end up in the bottom of the bowl on my stand mixer.  The chips then act as "the bottom-of-the-bowl scraper" as the paddle goes round 'n round after I add the flour.   Next, add:

5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
...with the mixer turned on, I add this four in 1-cup increments until all is in.  Continue mixing this only until flour is incorporated...

I get about 4 dozen large cookies from this batch when I form them like this:

Using a 2" (2" across) cookie scoop (cookie baller?), I fill it full and level off the top of it on the edge of the bowl.  Release "the ball of dough" on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Then, just before putting them into the oven,  I only slightly flatten their top.  

I remove these cookies from the oven when they have a VERY  slight tint of brown to them -- 13/14 minutes?  The cookies will continue to 'bake' for a while on their hot pans after coming out of the oven.   (Ovens vary, so see what works best with yours.)

History:  Back in 1986, when I was in Utah to give my daughter a hand for two weeks following the birth of her first child, I found this recipe in a cookbook but I surely don't know which one.  What I do know is that we have liked this recipe ever since!

4 comments:

  1. I was so happy to see that you have a recipe blog. I have several bookmarked on my computer that I go to for ideas. I have enjoyed many of the goodies that you have made through the years and this will be wonderful. I can get inspiration when I am in the mood to cook/bake and I don't have to try to find a paper recipe that I put "somewhere" Thanks a Lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU, Gene-- you are SO sweet! With cooking/baking, I am mostly an 'imitator'-- but, I sometimes add things, or make substutions as I go along. I guess this blog is a sum of my "experiments". Welcome to my 'lab', Gene! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get your cookies to look so lovely? I have never had too much luck with chocolate chip, and they are my husbands favourite. I had some I had to scrape off the pan before one flew in the air, another time they came out with holes in the centers and one final time they came out gooey. By that point I gave up. I finally found a good recipe, and have had good results from it, but my cookies NEVER turn out that nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, with the recipe I posted, I just put everything in the KitchenAid bowl (how, and in the order I give in the directions area). Then, with a cookie scoop, I get them all on the parchment lined pans. If you want to see the kind of scoop I use, go to my "Delicate Sugar Cookie" recipe-- I show it within that posting. Before I bought the cookie (dough) scooper, I'd roll the dough into balls a bit larger than an unshelled walnut, put 'em on the pan and then only very slightly flatten then with my palm. They turned out the same with that method, too. Maybe this recipe is the kind that turns out like this (?). Let me know if any of this helps. Doris

    ReplyDelete