M-m-m-m-m, so much like a little ball of Rice Krispies treats, but,...
with a caramel twist!
Yield: About 55 'treats'
- 1 of 14 oz. package light caramels (I prefer Kraft because they seem easier to unwrap.)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag (16 oz.) large marshmallows (I did not use the bigger jet-puffed kind).
- Rice Krispies (or, the equivalent in your favorite brand).
- Unwrap caramels. (Well, ... to save 'melting time', I lined them up on a cutting board and, using a very, very l-o-n-g knife, sliced them in half.)
- Melt caramels, butter, condensed milk and vanilla in the top of a double boiler, stirring until all is melted together. (That would work just fine, but... this is how I did it: In a microwave safe bowl, I first microwaved just the caramels for only 1 minute on high to soften them; then, I added the condensed milk, butter and vanilla. Microwaved, again-- checking 'progress' after each 30 seconds, stirring, and then declaring it 'done' after all was melted. Once melted, it took a minute or so to get the 'floating' butter smoothly blended (whisked) INTO the caramel/milk mixture, but, with patience, it all came together just fine.)
- Move coated marshmallow(s) to bowl of Rice Krispies, roll to coat...
Transfer to foil, waxed paper or parchment paper-lined area to cool. I like them to 'cool' overnight (overday?) so that the caramel coating has a chance to firm up.