Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Impossible (EASY!) Cheeseburger Pie

If you have some ground beef/onion browned ahead of time,....I think a very young cook could make this!
Below:  Instead of putting the 1/2 cup grated cheese IN the pie, I sprinkled white cheddar cheese (extra sharp by Cabot) on top just as soon as I removed it from the oven.  This way, if there is someone who does not want cheese on their portion, it can more easily be accomplished.
Yield:  Six 'hamburger pie' slices.
 
I've had this recipe for what seems like 'forever', and I think it came from the back of a Bisquick® mix.  In checking, I see this recipe is still 'out there' in the world of recipes.  With a tossed green salad, this makes for the start of a quickly put together meal.   I've already added canned/frozen corn to the hamburger/onion layer, and that was good, too.

If you don't have Bisquick® on hand, there are many websites with information on making up a batch of your own.  For example, take your pick:  https://www.google.com/search?q=substitute+bisquick&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYA

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 large onion (1 cup of chopped), fried with ground beef.
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 or 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
DIRECTIONS:
  • Heat oven to 400° F.  Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. 
  • In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned; drain.  Stir in salt. 
  •  Spread in pie plate.   Sprinkle evenly with cheese.*
  • In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or whisk until well blended. Pour over hamburger/cheese mixture in pie plate.

  • Bake about 25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 6 servings.

*Alternate way:  Instead of putting the 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese over the hamburger/onion layer, I waited until it came out of the oven to put it (cheese) on top; then returned it to the oven for just a minute or two so it could melt. 

4 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I love this recipe and the photos are to drool over!!

    I have yet to have breakfast, and I am craving dinner!

    Have a lovely day!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Simple" feels (and even TASTES) good to me. But, I ALSO like/enjoy/cherish things that others might call BORING! This recipe IS simple, but misses out on boring because there are other THINGS that can be done with it. Hope your Wednesday is a goodie! (Ours started out with a bull calf being born-- mother and baby doing fine.)
      Doris

      Delete
  2. I love the Impossibly Easy recipes, I have a different one for Pizza Bake(?) and it went really well with my picky eaters! I think I will try this one on a later date! These are especialy nice for a quick meal on busy days! I am not big on "gourmet" foods, I like good old fashioned home style cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, April! "Gourmet" foods-- something my husband looks at and whispers to me, "What IS it?" and then, "Is this it? Is this all there is?" That's what would happen when we attended some fancy/schmantsy farming-connected meetings in various hotels. Everything was more about arrangement/decoration on the plate (with more plate showing than food!). Like you, give me basic old-fashioned grub (something that can be 'modernized', if necessary, and still look/taste like satisfying food!) Thanks for stopping by. Doris

    ReplyDelete