Do you like the 'goodie in a box' known as
Fiddle Faddle? This is close!
This recipe makes about 3 quarts. At first glance, it might look like there are 'too many' steps to making this, but ...it really did not take long!
- 3 quarts popped corn (hulless popcorn also works well)
- 3/4 cup peanuts* (less, or more, as desired). Some add pecans instead of peanuts.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pop corn. Place popped corn and peanuts in large brown grocery store type paper bag. Set aside.
- Place brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a 3 quart glass bowl. Microwave at high setting 3 - 4 minutes, stirring after each minute, watching for when mixture comes to a boil. Microwave 2 minutes more while 'boiling'. Remove from microwave.
- Stir in baking soda.
- Pour syrup mixture evenly over popped popcorn and peanuts in brown bag. Close bag and shake well.
- Fold top over and place brown bag in microwave and microwave at high setting 1 and 1/2 minutes. Shake bag well. Microwave 1 and 1/2 minutes more. Shake bag, open bag and pour caramelized popcorn into large roasting pan or bowl. Toss bag in garbage. Cool and stir to separate kernels.
- Store in airtight containers, or 'zip-like' bags.
Come on, ... dig in!
Adapted from old Farm Journal recipes (submitted by Lisa Parker).