Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter 'Combo' Rolls (sort of!)


Jen B., I changed the plan, huh.  I intended to trim the outside 'braid-y' dough to look like a grassy basket, and then decorate the 'dough eggs' in the middle.  INTENDED, that is.  

 By using the whole recipe for the Butter Rolls, 
this is a full 14" across.

When this came out of the oven, I thought it smelled 'too good' and it was then that I decided I wanted to use the outside for our rolls/bread tomorrow.  Because of my 'change in thinking', I only put  icing on the 'dough ball eggs' in the center.  Like this,...

Above:  This way, we'll either break or slice from the outside braiding.

For my dough, I used the same recipe I'd already posted in my blog under rolls and it is named Butter Rolls.... scroll down to the recipe posted 'after this one'; I moved the post forward to yesterday.  Here are the basics:



Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup milk, scalded
  2. 1/2 (1 stick) butter
  3. 1/2 cup sugar
  4. 2 tablespoons dry yeast
  5. 1/4 cup warm water
  6. 1 teaspoon sugar
  7. 1 teaspoon salt
  8. 3 eggs, well beaten
  9. 5 cups all-purpose flour
Directions:
  • Scald milk; add butter and the 1/2 cup sugar and let cool.
  • Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup 'only warm' water with the teaspoon of sugar
  • Beat 3 eggs well.  When milk/butter/sugar mix is cooled to 'warm', add eggs and the 'frothy/rising' yeast.  Mix well.  Add flour gradually and mix well after each addition of flour.  
  • Place dough into lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat top.  The dough is still very THIN (I think), and certainly NOT kneadable, but it turns out if left like this.
  • Cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.  Punch down and proceed to make what you wish with it.   Note:  It is 'still' very very sticky stuff, but that makes it easy to add flour to the table top and on rolling pin without making it 'too tough'.  
  • This dough may be used for many variations of sweet rolls.
Below:  This sure isn't a 'fancy thing', but I love how this smells.  The smell alone makes me want to break some of it off-- right now!-- but, I'll wait.   Maybe.  No, I really WILL wait.   Maybe!?!  (LOL)

For the frosting, I just mixed some soft butter, sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, milk/water until I had the consistency I wanted and then added some coloring(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment