To pacify my craving for a blueberry SOMEthing,
I made this snack cake!
Blueberry season is almost here... BUT!!!, I was
disappointed to find out the"closest to here" U-Pick
blueberry farm will NOT be having any U-Pick
blueberries this year! You can read why at:
As stated, ONLY "already picked" blueberries can be
ordered ahead of time and will cost $20 per 5-qt. pail.
For The Cake...
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, or well-drained frozen/thawed.
For The Topping...
- 1/4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Grease and flour (or spray) a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Cream together the sugar, oil and egg until lemon-colored.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and very gently stir into the creamed mixture, just until incorporated.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into a greased and floured 9"x9" square baking dish.
- For the topping: Cut the butter into the flour/sugar/cinnamon mixture. Mix well and sprinkle over the top. (I did this in my food processor.)
Below: This is how it looked before baking...
In pre-heated 375-degree oven, bake for about 45
minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Below: This is how it looked when done...
And, later,....it looked like this!
YUMM-O! (We added a ball of ice cream to this!)
* Recipe from: https://www.turkeyhill.com/recipes/lancaster-county-recipes/dutch-blueberry-cake-recipe.aspx Since the recipe was
without a picture, I was pleasantly surprised to see how the
finished product turned out!