Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, July 7, 2014

Meat Loaf (I made these "individual-sized")

YESTERDAY:  Part of our two-day-early birthday 
dinner (our noon meal) for my husband...
 his birthday photo is at the bottom of this posting.

I baked these in two larger kinds of 
6-"well" muffin tins with each 
opening having a 1-cup capacity.

Ingredients** for about 4-5 servings:

1 pound ground beef
1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt (I used Kosher salt, while waiting for my pinkish Himalayan salt* to arrive sometime today.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (I used coarse ground)
1 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, slightly beaten
8 ounces of canned diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs, soaked in 3 tablespoons milk
................
Topping:  1/3 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons prepared mustard.
...............
* Himalayan salt information: https://www.google.com/search?q=himalayan+salt+benefits&oq=himalayan+salt+ben&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j5j0j69i60.7568j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

** I doubled all of the above meat loaf and topping ingredients just so I could use ALL of a 15-16 oz. can of diced tomatoes, and I ended up with about 11 generous 2/3-cup servings.

Directions:

Mix all meat loaf ingredients well.  Lightly, but thoroughly.

Baking Choices:  
  • Shape mixture in a greased/sprayed baking dish or loaf pan. 
  • Take 1/2-cup amounts and place into a greased/sprayed regular-size muffin tin.  OR...
  • Take 2/3-cup amounts and place into the larger kind of greased/sprayed muffin tin as shown in my photos to end up with 11 servings (if doubling the above recipe).
Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for about 1 hour if you bake the "original size recipe" in a loaf pan, or baking dish.     Bake for about 30 minutes if using the standard size muffin tin with 1/2-cup portions.  Bake for about 44 minutes if using the larger sized muffin tin holding 2/3-cup portions.  BUT!!!!, as always, since ovens vary, please bake according to how YOUR oven bakes, and according to how YOU like YOUR meatloaf to be!

Below:  This is how mine looked just before going into the oven.   I did not pack the mixture in!  Instead, I made a gently-handled 2/3 cup "ball", put that in, and then very slightly/lightly flattened the top of each so the topping would stay on them without running off into the muffin cups.


Below:  Here, they've just come from the 
oven...  to remove from the tins, I first went 
around edges with a small silicone spatula, 
then lifted each out with a large 
serving spoon.   DONE!!!!!


Below:  Moved to a serving plate and ready to go...

Above: These were a hit!
.............................................

This IS his cake/number, but 
he hardly looks like 74!

Above:  He LIKES fruit-- so, his "order" was for a strawberry poke cake with real whipped cream topping.  It was only fitting that the finishing decorations on top were of MORE fruit-- blueberries and six HUGE blackberries.  (Thank you, daughter P.-- ♥!)  

On the front of daughter P's birthday card to him, there are four old hens sitting on their nest, saying "HEY!  IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! ...DON'T JUST SIT THERE... (and, on the inside):  "AGE!"  

I know,...  I said, too, it seems harder to believe he is turning 74 because his hair isn't falling out, and his always NATURALLY brown hair is NOT turning gray (not very much, anyhow!).  Happy Birthday, husband,... on Tuesday! 
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

 I ♥m so th♥nkful for our 51 ye♥rs of m♥rri♥ge, ♥nd our gre♥t blessings of h♥ving five children, 17 gr♥ndchildren, ♥nd 10 gre♥t-gr♥ndchildren!  

No comments:

Post a Comment