Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Broccoli 'STEM' Soup

Broccoli stems and stalks make for good soup!



I don't know if it's because of the 'broccoli water', the stems, or what--  
this soup is SO tasty.  
I could enjoy this three times a day until it's gone!



After using only the broccoli florets for a quiche recipe, I had a lot of stems/stalks left behind.  Since I'd bought the broccoli at 'price per pound', it would be dumb of me to toss the stems.  They were already washed/rinsed-- so, without peeling them, I sliced all into 1/4" thick rounds (yes, even the BIG stalks, the 'tree trunk' of it)--  then, in about 5 cups of water, I steamed all of that until just tender, and ended up with about 4 cups (one quart jar) of 'steamed bits', and about 4 cups 'broccoli water'.  Set aside while preparing the rest of the soup.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cups steamed broccoli stems/stalks, cut into about 1/4" slices/pieces.
          --------------------------------------
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 4 cups of 'broccoli water' left from steaming the broccoli stems.
  • 1 cup cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 teaspoon chicken soup base
  • 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated.
  • 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks.  (I used this only because I 'had it on hand'.  You could just include this much more of the cheddar cheese.)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional, but I skipped it)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Steam broccoli stems/stalks until tender, using about 4 cups water.  Drain (save water). Set broccoli and water aside.
  • Put butter in heavy stock pot over medium heat and saute onion in butter until transparent. (I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven for this.) 
  • Add 1/2 cup flour, stir to blend into smooth paste. 
  • Ever so slowly, add the 'broccoli water', stirring/whisking constantly so as to end up with 'no lumps'.
  • Add cream, and milk. Blend well with a whisk, but switch to a utensil that can be used to keep the bottom scraped off and stirred well (we don't want any scorching to be happening!).
  • Add chicken soup base, stirring to dissolve and to make sure there are no clumps/lumps not blended in.
  • Add cheddar cheese and Velveeta cheese, stir until melted in.   
  • Add steamed broccoli 'stems/stalks'.  At this point, although I don't think it was necessary, I used my 'stick blender' in the soup and that 'chopped' the broccoli into smaller bits.  
  • Season with salt/pepper as desired.
  • Add Worcestershire sauce if you wish (I did not, and didn't miss it).
  • Personal preference:  In the picture I'm posting, you can see that I used some large-grated Pepper Jack cheese as garnishment; I also stirred some very small gratings of this into the soup (for my own bowl).  
  • Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment