Broccoli stems and stalks make for good soup!
I don't know if it's because of the 'broccoli water', the stems, or what--
this soup is SO tasty.
I could enjoy this three times a day until it's gone!
After using only the broccoli florets for a quiche recipe, I had a lot of stems/stalks left behind. Since I'd bought the broccoli at 'price per pound', it would be dumb of me to toss the stems. They were already washed/rinsed-- so, without peeling them, I sliced all into 1/4" thick rounds (yes, even the BIG stalks, the 'tree trunk' of it)-- then, in about 5 cups of water, I steamed all of that until just tender, and ended up with about 4 cups (one quart jar) of 'steamed bits', and about 4 cups 'broccoli water'. Set aside while preparing the rest of the soup.
- 4 cups steamed broccoli stems/stalks, cut into about 1/4" slices/pieces.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups of 'broccoli water' left from steaming the broccoli stems.
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoon chicken soup base
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated.
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks. (I used this only because I 'had it on hand'. You could just include this much more of the cheddar cheese.)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional, but I skipped it)
- Steam broccoli stems/stalks until tender, using about 4 cups water. Drain (save water). Set broccoli and water aside.
- Put butter in heavy stock pot over medium heat and saute onion in butter until transparent. (I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven for this.)
- Add 1/2 cup flour, stir to blend into smooth paste.
- Ever so slowly, add the 'broccoli water', stirring/whisking constantly so as to end up with 'no lumps'.
- Add cream, and milk. Blend well with a whisk, but switch to a utensil that can be used to keep the bottom scraped off and stirred well (we don't want any scorching to be happening!).
- Add chicken soup base, stirring to dissolve and to make sure there are no clumps/lumps not blended in.
- Add cheddar cheese and Velveeta cheese, stir until melted in.
- Add steamed broccoli 'stems/stalks'. At this point, although I don't think it was necessary, I used my 'stick blender' in the soup and that 'chopped' the broccoli into smaller bits.
- Season with salt/pepper as desired.
- Add Worcestershire sauce if you wish (I did not, and didn't miss it).
- Personal preference: In the picture I'm posting, you can see that I used some large-grated Pepper Jack cheese as garnishment; I also stirred some very small gratings of this into the soup (for my own bowl).