Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Sunday, January 1, 2012

CopyKat Hershey Chocolate Syrup

To avoid using a product that's laden with what I consider to be an undesired ingredient,  I adapted a recipe from CopyKat to make this 'copy cat' Hershey's Chocolate Syrup with the recipe listed below.  

First, why would I bother making my own when it's so readily available in store-bought containers?  Because the first ingredient on their label these days is HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP-- that's a good enough reason for me to get mixin' and boilin'!  Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I refuse EVERYTHING that has 'that kind of corn syrup' in it, but I try not to add it to anything if/when I find there's another choice.  So, having explained that, here goes....

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Hershey's cocoa (I ALWAYS sift cocoa-- and, powdered sugar, too-- because I HATE 'chasing' clumps and lumps.)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 and 3/4 cups water
  • 2 dashes salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:
  1. Combine cocoa, sugar and salt in 3 quart saucepan.
  2. Add water, and whisk until very smooth/blended.
  3. Over medium heat, bring this mixture to a boil, stirring/watching carefully.  (We don't want to end up with a scorched taste.)
  4. Allow it to bubble/boil for 3 minutes.  Be careful/watchful because this can easily boil over.  (One who made this recipe and posted a review on a separate website said she first boiled it for the specified time, then turned the heat to really low and let it simmer for about 7 minutes to 'thicken it up' a bit.)
  5. Remove from heat; after it cools a bit, add vanilla and refrigerate.  It will thicken a bit more as it cools.

No comments:

Post a Comment