Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pound Cake

This cake-- all because I want to make a fruit trifle and,... 
I wanted a pound cake for 'layering' it. 

A Sara Lee pound cake from the grocer's freezer section tastes really good but a 'small' 10.75 oz. rectangle of it was already selling for $3.99 a few years ago, and I think that's a lot of moolah for so little. The recipe below yielded just over 3 lbs.  I don't have to use my head or a calculator to know.................YIPPEE SKIPPEE, I saved plenty by making my own!
This is going to 'slice/cube' just fine...
It's gonna do da job!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 sticks butter, plus more for the pan.
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus a bit more for the pan.
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup mik (not less than 2% fat works best)
  • 2 teaspoons high quality vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
  • Grease and flour a tube pan (you could use two of the 9x5 inch loaf pans, buttered and floured)
  • With a mixer, cream butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each additon.
  • Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.
  • Mix in vanilla.
  • Pour into prepared tube pan, or two loaf pans.
  • Bake for 1 to 1½ hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.  (Check after the first hour.)
  • After letting it cool in pan for about 15 minutes, loosen edges, invert on plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment