Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Wheat Grinder

At the beginning of my recipes using whole wheat flour (well,... not the REALLY far back beginning as in the 'planting/growing' beginning), I see this... 

After a thorough dusting (pouring the wheat back 'n forth from one container to another outside in a strong wind), I put it in the wheat grinder which I've had since the mid-80's.  I don't know if everyone's machine lasts THIS long, but............. I LIKE!!!!


Below:  The freshly ground wheat ends up looking like this...  it's ready to use for baking.  (I promptly refrigerate any left-over flour.)


Where did I get the wheat from? A number of years ago, my hubby drove to Peshtigo and bought a few 100# burlap sacks of hard Winter wheat from a farmer-- it was amazingly clean!!!!!!!   I think it's also amazing that if stored in ideal conditions, wheat stays g-o-o-d for a long while (in its whole/unground state, that is).

One source for ordering  whole wheat is here:  www.beprepared.com

No comments:

Post a Comment