The one and only ZUCCHINI plant in Pam's garden
is very, very productive! This makes me want
to find all kinds of ways to use what it's putting out!
I LIKE Lemon!
I LIKE Poppy Seed!
I LIKE Zucchini!
I LIKE Bread!
So,... I put 'em all together and have this!!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil (I used "Smart Balance" oil blend)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (If using larger zucchini, cut lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibrous "stuff", then grate. I did not peel it.)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position
- Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans (I also put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of each.)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, dry pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, first whisk the eggs; add milk, oil, lemon juice and lemon extract. Whisk together.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently stir the "wet ingredients" into dry ingredients JUST until moistened. (Like when making muffins, do NOT over mix this batter.)
- Fold in the grated zucchini, poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick or thin wooden skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. In my oven, I needed to bake these two loves for about 1 hour (or 60 minutes).
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Today, while making this, I thought of Wayne's late Aunt Alma--
I think she was 'the' expert when it came to making any
kind of poppy seed cake and, of course, her
poppy seed Czech-style Kolache pastries.
Today, before my little helper friend got the word
"zucchini" down, she said to me, "I've never
had 'zoonie' bread before!"
Actually, ...me neither! (LOL!!)