Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Quick Loaf *

The one and only ZUCCHINI plant in Pam's garden 
is very, very productive!  This makes me want 
to find all kinds of ways to use what it's putting out!

I LIKE Lemon!
I LIKE Poppy Seed!
I LIKE Zucchini!
I LIKE Bread!
So,... I put 'em all together and have this!!


INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
....
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 and 1/4 cups milk (I used whole milk)
  • 1 cup canola or vegetable oil (I used "Smart Balance" oil blend)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
....
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini  (If using larger zucchini, cut lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and fibrous "stuff", then grate.  I did not peel it.)
  • 1/4 cup poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees
  • Set oven rack to second-lowest position
  • Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans (I also put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of each.)
  • In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, dry pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
  • In another bowl, first whisk the eggs; add milk, oil, lemon juice and lemon extract. Whisk together.  
  • Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently stir the "wet ingredients" into dry ingredients JUST until moistened.  (Like when making muffins, do NOT over mix this batter.)
  • Fold in the grated zucchini, poppy seeds and lemon peel.
  • Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick or thin wooden skewer inserted near the center comes out clean.  In my oven, I needed to bake these two loves for about 1 hour (or 60 minutes).  
  • Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
* This recipe comes from the website of Kittencal's Kitchen (a while back, when I sent her an e-mail and asked if I could make some of her recipes and post them in this blog, she wrote back and said "yes".   Thanks, Kitten Cal!
Today, while making this, I thought of Wayne's late Aunt Alma-- 
I think she was 'the' expert when it came to making any
 kind of poppy seed cake and, of course, her 
poppy seed Czech-style Kolache pastries.
                                  M-M-M, goooooood!
Today, before my little helper friend got the word 
"zucchini" down, she said to me, "I've never 
had 'zoonie' bread before!"  
Actually, ...me neither! (LOL!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment