So, what do you do when you have about two laundry baskets of carrots, with a good number of them being MONSTERS?!?! Do what I did? Google "CARROT RECIPES"!!!!!!
In my opinion, this pie ends up being a good "MOCK pumpkin pie"!!!
Check these out:
The largest (the 10" x 4.5")
weighed 2.5 pounds! Yes, POUNDS!Besides the "usual" uses for carrots (freezing, and canning), I found a variety of other recipes for carrots, some of which were very familiar-- soups, juice recipes, cookies, bars, cakes, etc. And, then,... I found recipes for CARROT PIE! I might have been "under a rock" too long-- but, I'd never heard of these!
Thank YOU, Pam!!!!!!!!!!
Thank YOU, Pam!!!!!!!!!!
2 cups cooked and then pureed carrots (maybe about 4 cups of slices to start with?)
1 of 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of salt (1/8 tsp.?)
1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
Personal note: I think(?) using just 1/2 of the following three ingredient amounts would also work to top the pie!
1 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add 1 inch of water to a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 9-11 minutes OR until tender. Drain. Cool.
- Puree the carrots in a food processor or blender. When you think they are smooth enough, run them through a potato ricer or Foley food mill to make sure any lumps are removed.
- In large mixing bowl (I used my stand mixer), beat together the pureed carrots, milk, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt until well-mixed.
- Pour into unbaked pastry shell.
- Combine the pecans, brown sugar and melted butter. Sprinkle over the pie filling.
- Bake at 375-degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and edges are browned. (Right from the start, I make a ring of aluminum foil and cover the top edges of the crust to prevent overbrowning.)
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
The original recipe for the above pie came from:
P.S. Below: The recipe for the "bare-topped" Carrot Pie that can be seen in the background may be my husband's favorite of the two:
The recipe for the "bare-topped" carrot pie is made by pretty much following the same "directions" as for the pecan-topped pie, but the ingredients listed were:
- 2 cups cooked and then pureed (pulp-free, and lump-free) carrots (about 4 cups of raw carrot slices to begin with?).
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 dash salt
Original submitter's note: If you double the recipe, you may be able to fill 3 of the 9" deep dish frozen pie crusts. This original pie recipe came from Karla at: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/pie/grandma-roses-carrot-pie.html