Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

CEDRIC's Casserole (cabbage, onions, ground beef, soup)

I . LIKE . RECIPES . WITH . CABBAGE!


Thank  YOU, Cedric!

"Cedric Adams, popular master of ceremonies and columnist, gave us this recipe-- a favorite in his home." 

The above quote comes from Page 276 in the really old Betty Crocker cookbook that I gave to my mother way back in 1961. Here is a picture of the book...
For more information on Cedric Adams:   
..........................................................
CEDRIC's  CASSEROLE 
(I already doubled this recipe 
to make 10-12 servings)

INGREDIENTS:

2 med. onions
3 tbsp. butter (Original recipe would have you use 6!)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt (I used coarse Celtic salt)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 med. head cabbage, divided
2 of 10 and 1/2 oz. cans condensed tomato soup.

DIRECTIONS:


Sauté 2 medium onions, chopped in 3 tablespoons butter.

Add the following to the sauteed onions, heating through but not browning (and set aside) . . .
     1 lb. lean ground beef
     1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt 
     1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Spread the following in a 4-6 quart baking dish, sprayed with non-stick.  (I used a 5-quart enameled cast iron dutch oven, with cover) . . .


     1/2 of medium-sized head of shredded cabbage--first remove core and discard other tough/hard pieces.  (Our chickens think it's their "Christmas morning" when they get those trimmings!)

Cover with ...
     The meat/onion mixture.  

Top with . . .
     Other half-head of cabbage, shredded

Pour evenly over the top of all . . .
     2 of 10 and 1/2 oz. cans condensed tomato soup.

Bake covered.

Temperature:  350-degrees.
Time:  Bake "about" 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until the cabbage is tender enough to suit you).
Serves:  10-12. 

Since I made this right after the morning school 
bus left today, THIS was MY breakfast!  
I may also have this for dinner (that's what I call 
my noon meal).  I know the others here 
will like it for tonight's supper.

Below:  I LOVED this with a piece 
of toasted Anadama bread that I made 
yesterday (it is posted under "bread").  
But!, since I just posted the bread 
recipe yesterday, you should be able 
to find it right below this posting.


1 comment:

  1. I made this for years and love it, but my youngest daughter thought it was missing something, needed "substance". She adds 2 cups cooked white rice and it's even better that way!

    ReplyDelete