Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Easy Peezy Peach Cobbler



I hit the jackpot on Tuesday when I bought six peaches at Woodman's in Appleton.  This time, I got lucky!  These were just perfectly ripe, juicy and sweet.  I should have bought a lot more!  Yesterday, I googled for a peach cobbler recipe* and settled on this one.  (I think I may have been lured to it by the words "Southern Living".)  In the past, I have had peach cobblers made with more of a "biscuit dough" topping that made it more necessary to eat it when fresh and warm.  I find that THIS recipe yields a cobbler that is STILL so very good even the next day when it is NOT fresh from the oven and warm!

Yield:  10 servings

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbs. baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 cups sliced peaches, peeled, OR unpeeled.  (I used five peaches.)
  • 1 more cup of sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg, optional
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Melt butter in a 13x9-inch baking dish.
  2. Combine flour and first 1 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt.  Blend together.  
  3. Add milk to above dry ingredients and stir only until everything is moistened.  Pour this mixture of batter evenly over the melted butter in the baking dish.  Do NOT stir it.  Set aside.
  4. Bring to just a rolling boil the second cup of sugar, the four cups of peach slices and the lemon juice while stirring constantly.  It forms its own juice.
  5. Remove boiling peach mixture from heat and spoon the hot mixture evenly over the thin batter in the baking dish.  Do not stir.
  6. IF desired, sprinkle top very lightly with cinnamon OR nutmeg.
  7. Bake at 375-degrees (or less if your oven runs hot) for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Note:  I baked mine at 350-degrees for 40 minutes and it ended up as seen below.
  8. Serve this cobbler while warm OR cold.

Above:  Shown with a very light sprinkling of 
cinnamon on top before baking.


* I followed the recipe just as I found it here:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-peach-cobbler.  If you wish, you can go to that website and read through the 286 different "reviews" before you make one for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment