Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Donna's Easy Bean Dish



Originally (and a long time ago!), I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Donna.  If you would like to  make a quick 'n easy baked bean dish, you will really like this recipe!  And,... almost everyone within 'smelling range' will like how your kitchen smells!  I like taking this to picnics and other pot luck doings.


Combine and simmer for about 15-minutes on the stove top:

1 # lean bacon that's been fried, patted 'dry' and cut or crumbled
1 large onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dry yellow mustard powder


Pour the above hot mixture over the following:

2 cans (15-16 oz. each) drained butter beans
1 can (15-16 oz.) drained kidney beans
1 can (15-16 oz.) drained Lima beans
1 can (15-16 oz.) drained black beans
1 larger size (close to 30 oz.) Van Camps or Bush pork 'n beans with liquid.

Note:   I do save the combination of 'drained juices' only until after serving the beans.  Why?  For just in case they would end up being a little dry after a while.  If that should happen, which it usually does NOT, I could add a little 'bean juice' instead of anything else.

Gently mix beans together well, put into a casserole dish and bake for about 30-minutes, or into a crock pot for a couple of hours on low heat to simmer.






No comments:

Post a Comment