Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sausage Gravy over Cheddar Cheese'y Biscuits



It was again time to feed my "southern roots" with some sausage gravy over biscuits.  

My mother was born in Texas, moved to Oklahoma, and then grew up in Arkansas before coming to this farm as a new bride in April of 1930.  I liked  loved making trips to the south with her-- the southern food made/served by her family made a strong impression on me.  For sure, the freshly made biscuits for breakfast EVERY morning-- they were so high, light, and delicious.  Besides variations of sausage gravy to go with them, I remember they often partnered their "blue ribbon biscuits" with a tasty warm pudding-type rice dish which had in it the most plump/sweet raisins I'd ever seen-- I've LIKED raisins ever since!!!!  
ooooooooooooooooooooo

Yesterday, I browned the sausage; then, made the gravy.  I refrigerated this overnight. Today, after church, I quickly made up the cheddar biscuits and this is what I ended up with.

GRAVY  INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pound tube of pork sausage (I used the sage flavored variety)
..............................
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 of 12 oz. can whole evaporated milk
  • 1 of 12 oz. can water
  • salt and pepper, to taste.
GRAVY  DIRECTIONS:

I browned this sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it was brown.  Then, I removed it from the pan with a slotted spoon  and set it aside, but left the drippings in the pan for making the gravy.
..................
  1. Stir the butter into the drippings until melted. 
  2. Sprinkle the flour into the drippings/butter mixture and stir until smooth.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook this drippings/butter/flour mixture only until light brown.
  4. Gradually whisk in the evaporated milk and the water until all is smooth, and cook until thickened.  You must constantly stir this to prevent sticking/scorching. This period of cooking will "cook" the mixture and eliminate a "flour" taste.
  5. Season with salt and black pepper.
  6. Stir in cooked sausage.
  7. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes.  If gravy becomes too thick, you can stir in a little more milk.
000000000000000000

BISCUIT  RECIPE:  
   
Here are the links to two of my favorite biscuit recipes-- they are already posted in this blog:  


...and,...the recipe for the biscuits I made today is here:




No comments:

Post a Comment