Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, October 27, 2014

Double-Chocolate "Ca'Cookies"



I'm calling these Ca'Cookies** because... they remind me of having an actual piece of chocolate cake, but, to enjoy THESE, I don't need:
  • ... frosting. 
  •  ... a plate/fork.
  • ... a large container to keep the cake fresh. 

INGREDIENTS:

6.75 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
(Recipe called for no baking soda, and no baking powder.)
.....
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened 
2 tablespoons canola oil (I used the "Smart Balance" blend of oils)
.....
2 large eggs
.....
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
.....
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (I used the "60%" Ghirardelli chips)
.....
IF everyone here liked nuts, I would have added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the dough.

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda, stirring with a whisk.
  2. Place sugar, butter, and oil in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed  until well combined (about 5 minutes).  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla; beat 1 minute.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until combined.  Add chocolate chips; beat at low speed just until combined.  Cover with plastic wrap; chill for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  4. Drop dough by 1 and 1/2 tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  
  5. Bake at 350-degrees for 10 minutes or until almost set.  *
  6. Cool on pan for a while-- until they firm up a bit.  Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks.


* "The secret to these rich chocolate cookies is to not overbake them.  For a gooey, creamy cookie center, pull them out of the oven when they are still a bit glossy."

**This recipe came from Page 107 in 
the November 2014 issue of the 
Cooking Light magazine.

Yield:  26 cookies (a little bit smaller than what I made).

No comments:

Post a Comment