Seriously,... I wonder how many times
in a row I could eat this before I'd say,
"No, I think I'll have something else!"
But, when you see the ingredients
(especially the butter, whole milk and
the heavy cream), you might say,
"Take it easy on the soup!"
- 8 med. potatoes, peeled and cubed to the size you like.
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed or diced
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk (or half 'n half)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced (to be used as a topping)
- Cook potatoes in generously salted water until tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a separate and rather large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat, watching it carefully.
- Add celery, onion, salt and pepper to the melted butter.
- Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes or until the celery and onions are tender and the flour has cooked slightly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk (or optional half 'n half). Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add heavy cream and continue stirring until soup is very creamy.
- Add diced/cubed ham and cubed potatoes and stir until blended.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in cup or bowl and top with cheese.
might be is "rich",
but, ...I say it is SO worth it!
(I could see where a very small
amount of thin slices of carrot
would add a tiny dash of color.)