Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Thick Potato 'n Ham Soup

Seriously,... I wonder how many times 
in a row I could eat this before I'd say, 
"No, I think I'll have something else!"


But, when you see the ingredients 
(especially the butter, whole milk and 
the heavy cream), you might say,
"Take it easy on the soup!"

Serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 med. potatoes, peeled and cubed to the size you like.
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cups cooked ham, cubed or diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • 10 tablespoons butter
  • 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups whole milk (or half 'n half)
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced (to be used as a topping)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook potatoes in generously salted water until tender.  Drain well and set aside.
  2. In a separate and rather large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat, watching it carefully.  
  3. Add celery, onion, salt and pepper to the melted butter. 
  4. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes or until the celery and onions are tender and the flour has cooked slightly.
  5. Slowly whisk in the milk (or optional half 'n half).  Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken.
  6. Add heavy cream and continue stirring until soup is very creamy.
  7. Add diced/cubed ham and cubed potatoes and stir until blended.
  8. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
  9. Serve in cup or bowl and top with cheese.


This soup might be is "rich", 
but, ...I say it is SO worth it!

(I could see where a very small 
amount of thin slices of carrot 
would add a tiny dash of color.)


No comments:

Post a Comment