"Spiced" Zucchini Cake
w/Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting**
(This posted recipe is for the cake shown in the middle!)
Because of having a lot of zucchini, I made
three cakes yesterday. This is the third time
I've made the one in the middle (shown below).
In other words, this one is already a favorite of
those who have had a piece.
Because I took this cake to a picnic, I do not
have a photo of it after it was cut.
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs (I used large eggs)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (This amount is not overpowering.)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I first run it through a sifter, or screen strainer to get rid of any lumps.)
DIRECTIONS for the CAKE:
- Heat oven to 350-degrees. Spray only the bottom of a 9x13" pan (I used glass) with cooking spray. (Doing it this way and the regular way, I had equally good results with spraying the bottom and the sides of the glass dish.)
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- By hand, stir in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Don't over-bake.) Remove from the oven to cooling rack. Cool cake completely-- at least for one hour.*
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Beat in the cinnamon and vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in the "sifted" powdered sugar until frosting is smooth and creamy. Spread frosting on cake.
- Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining cake.
**I found the original recipe for this cake right here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/zucchini-cake-with-cinnamon-cream-cheese-frosting/8e2f59f5-2766-47e7-80e1-b930cc559912?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=07_2016_standard