Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Thursday, September 8, 2016

RHUBARB CUSTARD BARS*


PREP; 25 MIN. + CHILLING + BAKE: 50 MIN. + MAKES: 3 DOZEN

INGREDIENTS:

CRUST--
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

FILLING--
2 cups sugar
7 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 large eggs, beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh, or frozen rhubarb that's been thawed and drained

TOPPING-- (I do NOT make and add this to the bars-- I say they are good "as is".)
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (I used the food processor for this).   Press into a greased 9x13" baking pan/dish.  Bake at 350-degrees for 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl.  Whisk in cream and eggs.  Stir in rhubarb.  Pour over baked crust.  Bake at 350-degrees for 40-45 minutes OR until the custard is set.  Cool.
  3. For topping (If you choose to add it)--  Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.  Spread over the top.  Cover and chill.  Cut into bars.  Store in the refrigerator.
Per Bar:  198 cal., 11 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 52 mg chol., 70 mg. sodium, 23 g carb., 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.* Once I tried these creamy bars, I had to make them for family and friends.  the fruit and custard layers inspire people to go find rhubarb-- Shari Roach, South Milwaukee, WI (Taste of Home, April/May 1998 Issue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment