Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

German Onion Pie

Oh, MY!  ...an ONION pie!?!?!
(Lighting can play "tricks"-- The actual pie wasn't as 
"yellow" as in the above photo.)

NEVER in my life were ONIONS a part of
 my thinking when I heard the word "PIE"!!!!

That is, not until Marshall, a former classmate of 
12 years, posted on his Facebook page that he'd 
had a slice of onion pie at a "food event" in Texas.

It sounded "good"...  and, ...

Since, ...besides "the Irish",  I have a whole 
"boatloadof German ancestors 
on my father's side, I just had to find 
this recipe and make it-- 
yes, make it, bake it, and LOVE it!!!

(For breakfast today, I enjoyed the last 
few slivers of this goodness!!!)

If you google "onion pie", you will find so many 
recipe options-- choose the one you think 
sounds good for you and try it.  I chose this one...

Ingredients:
  • 5 "thick" slices of bacon, diced.
  • 2 cups peeled/chopped onions
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.  (Will lower temp. after baking for 15 minutes.)
  2. Saute bacon.  
  3. Drain "most" of the bacon fat from the pan.
  4. Add the onions to the pan with bacon and saute until clear.  (Do not brown the onions.)
  5. Set aside to cool a bit.
  6. Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a small bowl.
  7. Sprinkle the flour over the top and beat it into the sour cream mixture.
  8. Stir in the salt and pepper.
  9. Prick the bottom of the unbaked pie shell several times with a fork.
  10. Spread the onions/bacon over the bottom of the pie shell.
  11. Pour the sour cream mixture over the top.
  12. Bake for first 15 minutes.
  13. Reduce heat to 350-degrees F.
  14. Continue baking for another 15 minutes or until nicely (lightly) browned.
  15. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment