Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Helen's Broccoli and/or Cauliflower Soup



Now!, this recipe asks for 3 bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons of 'soup base'.  I always used 'chicken flavored soup base' in it.  It's what you see in the dish below.   When I was making this soup today, I went ahead and measured it out-- but, then, just COULD NOT put it into the soup.  It's loaded with MSG and I figure it defeats the purpose of making 'healthy' homemade soup!   I wondered if leaving it out would 'ruin' this favorite soup of mine.  I don't think it did.  So,.............. suit yourself.  Put it in, or leave it out like I did today--  I 'tossed' it. (In fact, the next time I make this soup, I'm going to even substitute the 2 cups of hot water with MSG-free chicken stock.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe was first given to me in the late 70's by my sister-in-law Helen.  It's easy and quick to make.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
~~~~~~~
8 tablespoon flour
~~~~~~~
2 cups hot water
3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 3 teaspoons chicken soup base)
~~~~~~~~
2 cups grated cheese* (med. or sharp cheddar)
~~~~~~~~
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
~~~~~~~~
1 tablespoon chopped fresh (or dried) parsley
~~~~~~~~
1 large head of steamed/boiled broccoli OR cauliflower (I often use half of each).

DIRECTIONS:

In a separate saucepan, gently boil (or steam) the well-rinsed and trimmed cauliflower and/or broccoli until it is just barely tender-- drain* and set aside.  (If you are using a combination of both, they can be boiled/steamed together.)  Just before putting this into the soup, I take a potato masher and slightly break up the larger pieces.

*Chef Gordon Ramsey says you can use the 'broccoli-cooking water'-- I did that, too, since I left out the 'soup base stuff'.  Everything tasted just 'fine/dandy'.
http://gordonramsaysrecipes.com/03/gordon-ramsays-broccoli-soup/  (Before using the broccoli water, I made sure I pre-rinsed the broccoli VERY WELL.)

In fry pan, saute` onions in butter until transparent. 

Add 8 tablespoons flour and stir until blended and smooth.
  
S-l-o-w-l-y add 2 cups hot water (with the 3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes (or soup base mix IF you decide to go ahead and use it). 

Add the 2 cups grated cheese; stir until cheese* is melted.
 
Add 2 cups milk, 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.  Blend well.
 
Now, break up the cooked cauliflower or broccoli into rather small pieces and add it to the cooked soup mixture.  (Sometimes I take my potato masher and use it lightly to break up the broccoli or cauliflower pieces.)

 I never added salt to this recipe because there was plenty in the bouillon cubes or soup base, etc.  BUT!!!..  NOW that I did NOT use the bouillon cubes or soup base, I added 1/2 teaspoon salt to the soup.
  
(If you double the recipe, you can easily use one large head of cauliflower and the same amount of broccoli-- their flavors are quite similar, or at least they are complimentary 'twins'.)

* If you leave anything too hot for too long after you have the cheese in it (or on it), the cheese will start to 'curdle'-- it still tastes good, but it is not as attractive!

No comments:

Post a Comment