Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My "Loaded" Honey/Wheat Muffins



I got the idea for these muffins from various other recipes and then made it my own by making/baking them as follows:

Ingredients:

2  eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup  oil
1 cup honey (I used honey from Rick's bees.) 
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour  (I used the flour I ground from our own wheat.)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder (I prefer 'aluminum free' made by Argo.)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups (about 3 large?) finely grated carrots (I used carrots FRESH from Pam's garden.)
1 apple-- peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (because I didn't have raisins)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup shredded OR flake coconut
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons oat bran (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 360-degrees.  Very lightly spray insides of 18 muffin tins or paper liners with 'non-stick'. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl (I used my Kitchen-Aid) on medium speed, mix together eggs, applesauce, honey, oil and vanilla.

In separate large bowl, combine wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir in the grated carrots, apples and 'dried fruit' (cranberries, raisins or whatever you like).  Make sure this mix is mixed well so that the grated carrots and 'dried fruit' are well dispersed.  (I used my CLEAN hands to do this.)  Now, add the egg/applesauce/honey/oil/vanilla mixture and stir only until all of the dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon  batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.  (A cookie scoop works great for this!)  If you wish, you could sprinkle a few extra walnuts on top of these before putting them into the oven. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until their top springs back when lightly pressed. (With how my oven works, mine took 19 minutes.)

I (we) like how these turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment