Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, October 10, 2011

Beet Cake (Check this 'oddball' cake out!)

(All photos in this blog were taken by me, Doris)

So, tell me!  WHAT cake starts out like this...?
Above:  I needed 2 cups of 'beet puree', so, leaving just a nub of 'top' and 'root' on 5-6 beets so they wouldn't 'bleed' their juice into the water, I boiled them until a bit tender.  Then, by immediately putting them into cold water, their peelings slipped off very easily.  After peeling, I trimmed the rest of their top/root and any other 'negative spots' off.  Next, I sliced them up a bit and pureed them in the food processor (I think a blender would work for that, too).   I let the puree cool just slightly before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.

Below:  This is what my 2 cups of puree looked like.


Below:  This is a picture of how the 'complete' cake batter looked like when going INTO the oven (it's quite RED, huh!)...

Below:  Here is a close-up of a dark BROWN 
cake that came from RED batter!....



My 'taste testers' really liked this cake-- it has a dense crumb, and tastes more like a spice cake than anything else.  I don't know about when it was warm or at room temperature but, after being refrigerated overnight like it was, there was absolutely NO 'beet taste', but not a whole lot of chocolate flavor, either.  It is a 'keeper' recipe for us!!!

Recipe

Ingredients

  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (I think just 2 ounces would be plenty if you use the 60% dark chocolate).  I like to use 'chocolate chips' for this so I don't have to chop it.
  • 1 cup butter, softened (divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup portions)
  • 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups pureed cooked beets
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions



  • In a microwave, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
  • In a small bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
  • Beat into creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
  • Pour into a greased and floured 9x13" pan.  Bake at 350-degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Depending on how your oven bakes, you might want to check it a bit before 35 minutes are up.)   Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar OR frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe below). 

Nutritional Facts1 serving (1 slice) equals 211 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Cream together:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

(Personally, I think just half of this FROSTING recipe is enough for a 9x13" cake.)

There are various recipes around for beet cake-- some are very old.  I found this one on the Taste of Home website.  Another similar recipe is listed on the website of Straight From the Farm.  As I said above, this recipe is a 'keeper'!!




2 comments:

  1. When I was a little girl, I was spending an afternoon with my Nana helping her in the garden. We had just harvested some beets and she asked if I like them. I said no, but she asked if I ever tried them. Again I said no, and she told me if I wanted to stay at her house I had to try one. So, I took a bite out of a raw beet. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy it. I'm sure I'd like this much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, I LOVE hearing special stories like that-- a bonus is that it takes us right back to special people. I'm definitely making this cake, again, but will be using canned/drained beets during non-gardening months.

    ReplyDelete