Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Oatmeal Coconut Snack Cake

Last week, I wanted to make a cake my mother made for us when I was growing up.  She'd bake this cake until a toothpick came out clean and then carefully spread a mixture of butter/brown sugar/coconut on it before putting it under the broiler for just a couple of minutes.  After the frosting would start to 'bubble', she'd bring the cake out of the oven and put 1/2 large marshmallow on what will be 'a serving' of cake and broil it again just until the marshmallows turned a very light brown on top. 

Here it is and I'm going to nickname it my Memory Cake.  (For sure, you do NOT have to put the marshmallow halves on it-- I did it because.........................................my mother did it!   ♥)



My experience:  This cake was so well liked today that I quickly put 1/2 of it into the freezer so that portion wouldn't be quite so accessible.  (Freezing a 'goodie' doesn't always guarantee it a long 'life', though.

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 and 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I've used either the LIGHT brown sugar OR the DARK BROWN sugar)
  • 1 cup white sugar.
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 and 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Soak the oatmeal in the boiling water for at least 20 minutes.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whip together the butter and sugars.  
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla.  
  4. Then add the soaked oatmeal and mix thoroughly.  
  5. Lastly, add the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  6. Pour into a greased or 'sprayed' 9x13-inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick or clean sharp knife comes out clean.  (This cake will not rise as high as other cakes.)  Because I used a glass 9x13, I had the oven set at 330-degrees.)   Remove from oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes; then spread evenly (and carefully) with coconut topping (recipe below).  
  7. Place the cake under the broiler for only 2-3 minutes or just until the topping is 'bubbling' and slightly golden brown.  Remove from the oven and place 1/2 (cut) large marshmallow on what will be 'each serving'.  Return to broiler for a just a tiny bit of time until the marshmallow halves turn a very LIGHT brown.  Watch these last steps SO carefully-- you do not want the coconut topping or the marshmallows to brown too much!
COCONUT BROWN SUGAR TOPPING RECIPE:
Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk (you could substitute w/cream, half 'n half, 2% or whole milk).
  • 1 cup shredded coconut, packed.
Stir (or beat together) the first four ingredients listed directly above until the sugar is dissolved (beat it until you can't feel its grains in the container) and then add the coconut and mix together.  Spread on hot cake as directed above.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment