Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Broccoli Salad with Bacon 'n Cheese

I think the above salad is pretty much like the one Jennifer made for our Thanksgiving Day dinners-- it was a favorite then, and still is.

A variation of this salad is as follows:
This variation (pictured above) has one large cluster of red grapes added to it.  It sounded so weird to have grapes and broccoli together, but I saw it in the Home Cures That Work e-subscription that I have.  I gave it a try, and like it.   After all, some versions of this recipe call for raisins-- and they are dried grapes.  (When putting the grapes in, I LEFT the chopped onion OUT, but I kept everything else the same.)

Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes

3 heads broccoli  (If you want it to appear more 'bright green' in your salad, drop the trimmed broccoli into boiling water for only 20 to 30-seconds and drain, cool quickly in ice water and drain well!)
4-6 slices bacon (as lean as possible), cooked and crumbled
8 ounces  cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes or small strips
1 small onion, very finely chopped 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRESSING MIXTURE:
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

         1. Trim the florets off of the broccoli, cutting large pieces into bite-size pieces,
              and rinse in a colander (drain thoroughly, or spin dry).
 
           2. Combine the broccoli, bacon, cheese and onion in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar(I stir this mixture with a spatula until I can't feel the little grains of sugar rubbing on the sides of the glass bowl.)   Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.  To get the extra dressing from the bottom of the bowl, stir again just before serving.
4. This broccoli salad can be served immediately, but it tastes even better if you cover it tightly and refrigerate it for an hour or two before serving. Some think that leftovers for the next day are even better

No comments:

Post a Comment