Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, March 26, 2012

Monkey Bread (A pull-apart "breakfast'y" cake)


And,... under the cover is...  this...




Recipes for this are all over the Internet.   If you google "recipe monkey bread", you are likely to come up with 1 MILLION 200 THOUSAND websites.  Is that a lot, or not?!?!?   


Below:  This morning, we had 23° (after a long period of abnormally warm temperatures, this is probably a more "normal" for March 26).  Here is the monkey bread having its photo taken outside in this morning's bright morning sunshine...




I'm including this in my collection because of a 'sweeeeeet memory'.  It's because the first person who gave me the recipe was the late Shirley Schneider (Mrs. George) of Shawano.  She and her husband were the owners of the Schneider Monument Company in Shawano, but I met Shirley back in the mid 80's.  Shirley went with me to Chicago for a meeting and we had such a good time.  She was a sweetheart (gem!) of a woman.   (Shirley actually gave me two different recipes for this, both good!  Of the two, this one is just a bit easier to remember...without looking at a card.)


Here,... have a chunk (clump?)...

I love using nuts when baking-- in fact, I haven't meet a nut I didn't like (including humans, if they're the nice/humorous kind!), but,... because some people have 'nut allergies',  so I don't put a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts into the bottom of the greased Bundt pan UNLESS I know only our family will be having this.  

1. Grease or spray a bundt cake pan.  Set aside.

2.  Combine these ingredients in a plastic bag (or bowl).  Set aside.  This will be your 'sugar coating': 

1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


(If you have some of this sugar/cinnamon mix left over when you're all done, put it in a sort of shaking container and sprinkle on warm buttered toast........... M-m-m-m-m-m-m....)


3.   Open 3 of the 7.5 oz. tubes of buttermilk biscuits (10 ct.); cut each biscuit into 4 pieces.  Put these cut pieces into the bag or bowl of 'sugar coating' and shake or stir until each piece is evenly coated.  Put the sugar-covered biscuit pieces into the prepared Bundt pan. (Some bakers say the 'buttermilk' kind don't dry out as much.)

4.  In a medium saucepan, heat together 1 stick butter and 1 cup brown sugar (packed).  Heat this together over medium heat until mixture is well blended and starting to get 'bubbly'.   Now, pour the prepared/hot TOPPING SAUCE mixture over the sugared biscuit pieces in the Bundt pan.

5.  Bake at 350-degrees for 35-40 minutes or until top is rich golden brown.   (To test for a 'doneness clue', I stuck a wooden skewer down into the 'monkey clumps' to see if I had any 'raw residue' on it.)   

6.  Let stand in pan for a minute or two. Invert onto plate.  Break little clumps off and enjoy while warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment