Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

Put your seat belt on (or, better yet, something to at least  restrain your arms from repeatedly reaching out for just a 'little bit more')!!   

This is one of those special kinds of dessert where...
 a 'little' really does go a long way...

A long time ago, I read something like this:  "If you are afraid you might not have room for dessert AFTER a meal, EAT . IT. FIRST!  That might work for this one...   it has cheese, eggs, and fruit.  Sounds like a 'meal' to me-- LOL!!!


I'm wishing I could share a piece of this with my late Mama... she sometimes mentioned, "I could go for a little piece of cheesecake-- I've only had a few little slivers through the years because it's 'rich',... but so good."  (She had it right!)

I wish I could share this with..... YOU!



CRUST  INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
FILLING  INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 of 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
...
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 and 1/2 cups peeled and finely chopped apples
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
...
  • 6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, divided.
  • Sweetened whipped cream  (OR, whipped topping?)
  • 2 tablespoons  coarsely chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine the first five ingredients; using the flat bottom of something, press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. spring form pan.
  2. Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; set into refrigerator or other cool place for about 20 minutes.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. (I used my Cuisinart food processor for this.)  Add eggs, one at a time; beat on low (or pulse) just until combined.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour over baked and cooled crust.  Set aside for a moment.
  4. Peel and chop apples*

Make the pieces of apple very small.... they don't look small in the photo below, but they are.

5. Sprinkle lemon juice over apples and gently stir to cover all; sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over apple pieces and stir to coat; now spoon apples evenly over filling.**

6.   Bake at 350-degrees for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set (until not all jiggly in the center).


7.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen.
8.  Carefully, remove sides of pan.
9.  Drizzle with 4 tablespoons caramel topping.

10.  Cool for 1 hour, out of refrigerator.  Chill in refrigerator overnight.
11.  Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream.  Drizzle with remaining caramel; sprinkle with pecans.  Serve, and store what's left-over in the refrigerator.

Yield:  12 servings (or, just six servings IF it's your MEAL-- with all the cheese, eggs and apples, would that work?   LOL!)

* To prepare the apples, I use my apple peeler gadget that peels, cores and slices all at the same time  I then carefully remove the sliced/cored apple 'rings' from the rotating rod and set them on the cutting board.  With a knife, I cut down through the 'ball' of slices, working my way around until all slices are done. (Pictured earlier in this posting.)

** You'll be able to put the apples on more evenly if you do use a spoon, as directed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
M-m-m-m-m-m, this is good!

Going...

Going......


...GONE!

So, what about the other pieces-- the left-overs?  
Below, I'll show you...


I put large individual pieces, which are enough for two servings, into a container and freeze them.  After these are frozen solid (overnight), I'll vacuum pack them.  Dessert for ...'the future'.  Doing this saves me from having to wear the hand/arm cuffs I'd certainly need if they were left to sit in the refrigerator all ready to go-- ready to  go 'down the hatch', that is!!!

This recipe was adapted from one submitted by Debbie Wilson, Sellersburg, Indiana, in the 2006 edition of Taste of Home's Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2005.  Debbie said this was her most-often-requested dessert and it received more compliments than anything else she's made.  Thanks, Debbie.  

(I hope her area in Indiana isn't one that was repeatedly hit with deadly tornadoes over the past two days!-- but, I wish NONE of ANY area had been hit!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment