Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, May 4, 2012

Helen's Rhubarb Custard Dessert

When Helen first gave this recipe to me, all of the measurements were for a 9x9-inch baking dish.  I've changed certain things about the recipe so that it works in a really large baking dish, and I include the whole eggs in the custard so that I can skip the step of making a meringue for the top--  because Wayne likes it 'as is'.   I still call this "Helen's" because we started making this after she gave us this recipe....  with the way I've changed this recipe, you can make it 'this big', or cut recipe in half and make 9x13" pan of it....



Rhubarb Custard Dessert
Blend these first four ingredients and lightly pat into a buttered 10.50 x 15.75* glass baking dish.  Bake at 325-degrees for 15 minutes:
2 and 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1cup softened butter

While that is baking, mix the following ingredients:
8 whole eggs
3 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 and 1/3 cup cream (or whole milk)
10 cups raw cut up rhubarb (1/2" pieces)
Pour this over the baked layer.
Bake a large pan this size at 325-degrees for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes, or until the center isn't "jiggly".
When cooled a bit, I cover tightly it with Saran wrap and keep refrigerated.

* It works to cut this recipe in half for making a 9"x13" pan of this. Cut baking time accordingly.  Check after 45-minutes to see if it's firming up in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment