Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Black Bean Brownies*

I like!...
With just a package of Brownie Mix AND 
a can of black beans,... 
you're 'in business' for having a basic brownie!!!!
(Yes, skip the oil-- skip the eggs.)

I ended up with a very MOIST brownie...


WOWSERIE!  A package of Brownie Mix and a can of black beans-- 
on your mark, get set, and... GO!!!      




 What a simple way to add a load of protein and fiber 
to something so many of us already like!

 You won't believe how simple this is, and how 'hidden' 
(how 'not there') the beans will be! 


 If YOU don't tell, even a 'bean hater' won't know.

Ingredients:  (NO oil, NO eggs!)
  • 1 package (box) of your favorite Brownie Mix**
  • 1 of 14 oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed, and pureed with...
  • Water (see the directions below).
  • IF you want to, you can sprinkle things on top of the batter in the pan, or stir 'stuff' into it.
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  1. Open the can of black beans.  Drain in a colander.  Run water over beans until they are 'rinsed clean'.
  2. Put the rinsed beans back into their can. 
  3. Fill the can of 'rinsed beans' to the top with fresh water.
  4. In a blender, puree the beans/water until smooth.
  5. Add the puree mixture to the brownie mix and stir until incorporated.
  6. Sprinkle whatever you want on top (or, add nothing!).  Because some like nuts, and some don't, I did half-and-half with the 'additions'... like this...

7.  Pour batter into and bake in a greased pan as directed on the box.  Test for doneness with a toothpick.  With my oven, I added just a couple of minutes to the baking time.  (Do not bake until they are 'too dry'.)  Cool thoroughly before cutting.

*Because I had only a larger 26.5 ounce can of black beans on hand and didn't want to use just half-a-can, I used TWO packages of Brownie Mix and followed the recipe directions as listed above.   (To make up for the 1.5 ounce less liquid in comparison to using two of the 14 oz. cans of black beans, I added 1.5 oz. water.) By doing what I did, in using two packages of Brownie Mix and this larger can  of beans, I ended up ADDING 42 grams of protein, 36 grams of fiber to these BROWNIES!   Imagine that!!!!!!!

**You know how sometimes the Brownie Mix (even cake mixes) are a bit 'lumpy' in their bag?  I like to run the 'dry lumpy mixture' through my sifting screen so it's smooth before I add liquid things to it.  (I am sure this is not necessary, but.... it's just my preference to do it like this.)

This recipe is 'around' on the Internet (there are even some 'from scratch' recipes).  Molly Crosby (wife of Green Bay Packer kicker Mason Crosby) brought this to the Living with Amy show on Green Bay's  Fox 11.  


These came out VERY moist and fudgy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment