Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, June 8, 2012

Batter-Fried Fish Fillets (OR Chicken Tenders/Fillets)

Because I don't believe that 'deep frying' food is all that 'healthy', I don't use this recipe much more than ONCE a year.   (Besides, since you'll need pretty much a whole quart of oil, it can be expensive  to 'deep fry' things on a regular basis.)   

Having said that,... this recipe is...

Great for having your own special part  
of a Fish Fry Friday...
Above:  They were NOT as 'oily' as they might look in this picture.  Most of what you see that LOOKS like 'oily' was the reflection of light coming through the window.  These fish fillets were very CRUNCHY and DELICIOUS!
---------------------------
Below: Deep-Fried Fish and a really quick-to-make 
Tartar Sauce-like sauce...
Above:  For my own kind of Tartar Sauce-like sauce, I just stir some of my own homemade pickle relish into either Hellman's mayonnaise OR Miracle Whip Salad Dressing.  The taste will be altered by the variety of relish you mix into either the mayonnaise OR Miracle Whip.

For quite a while, I've had this recipe for a 'frying batter' and we like it because it doesn't get soggy/heavy as it fries.   (I'm thinking this is the same recipe my mother used in the 'olden days'.) 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2  level tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup cold water
Also, I suggest you google for yourself the information on when/how/IF already-used oil (after carefully straining it) could/should be saved for another use at https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Can%20I%20re-use%20deep%20frying%20oil&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=669bb0f587f6dede&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1163&bih=590

 DIRECTIONS*:

1. Sift dry ingredients together
2.  Add water and mix very well (until smooth)
3.  Use to coat fish or chicken fillets.
4.  Cover both sides completely, letting excess drip off.
5.  Deep fry in oil at 360-370 degrees until a nice golden brown.**
6.  After DEEP FRYING for about 5 minutes, remove from oil and place on an absorbent surface.  (If frying in a pan, continue until each side is golden brown and the center is done.)

*My personal opinion is that this batter is even better if made about an hour ahead of using it.

**Some use this batter (as listed above) and then fry the fish in a regular frying pan. In that case, your fried fish might look like this: 
Above:  For frying in a pan, I use a little oil and then, without having the heat too high, I add a very small amount of butter to aid with the 'browning'.

** ANOTHER WAY I LIKE TO FRY FISH:  Dip each side of a fish fillet into some dry buttermilk pancake mix, and then fry in a light mix of oil/butter.  That's a "YUM", too!!!



P.S.  Thank you, Fisherman Jim (and Pam), for the fish.  The 'fish of your labors' couldn't have been better!

No comments:

Post a Comment