What's better than 'enjoying a meal' WAY AHEAD OF TIME as it
cooks away in a slow cooker-- well, sure, the actual meal, of course!
Oh, this soup made our house smell SOOOOOO good today.
Seeing frozen hash browns (potatoes),
in the freezer, I decided to make
potato soup today. EXCEPT that...
those were, instead, bags of frozen
Okay,... still made soup, just a DIFFERENT kind!
Since I planned to be busy cleaning and then putting Christmas decorations back into storage today, I wanted something to be ready for supper tonight-- something that would pretty much 'make itself'! This soup fit the bill in the 'BESTEST' possible way!
- 32 oz. (two of 1 lb. bags) frozen cauliflower florets
- 3 of 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
- 1 of 10.5 oz. (close enough) cream of chicken soup, undiluted.
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (OR 1 whole medium, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb. lean Polish sausage, or lean Kielbasa, or Cheddar Wurst, cut into 1/2" thick slices. (In place of the sausage, browned hamburger might also work?)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (I guess you could use whatever kind of cheese you prefer-- that is, anything that melts/blends well.)
Combine the chicken broth with the cream of chicken soup, blend well. Add the chopped onions and ground black pepper.
Pour the broth/soup/onion/pepper mixture over the frozen cauliflower florets IN A CROCK POT (slow cooker).
Cover and let cook for about 4 hours (I had my crock pot turned to 'high'). Add the sliced sausage and continue for another hour.
At this point, cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add it (OR any grated cheese of your choice) to the soup. Turning the cooker to LOW, you can let this 'simmer' for another hour (1 hour). The cheese will soften/melt. Very gently, stir to blend in the melted cheese just before serving.
Hubby liked this
a whole LOT, and
so did 'little one'
who lives with us!