Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Apricot Coconut Ring Cake

This recipe came from an old 1967 edition of 
Jiffy Cooking by Better Homes and Gardens.

From the first time I saw a picture of this cake, I wanted to make it!  So, really,...why did it take me 46 years to get around to making it!? Simple!!!!-- It's because I have more time these days to 'experiment' with baking things on my list of want-to-bakes!!


Once this cake was done, I liked everything about this cake EXCEPT for the fact that the halves of Apricots end up looking like the 'orangish' EGG YOLKS from our free-range chickens!   Because of that, when I make this cake again, I will be slicing the Apricot halves before adding them. 


INGREDIENTS:

2 of 15 oz. cans Apricot halves (well drained, but SAVE the juice!)
.....
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons saved/reserved Apricot juice/syrup
.....
2/3 cup flaked coconut
....
1 box of white cake mix (prepared with the usual egg whites, water and oil)
....
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon brown sugar
Remainder of saved/reserved Apricot juice/syrup

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Drain Apricots, reserving (setting aside) syrup.
  2. Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons saved/reserved Apricot juice/syrup, and 1/3 cup brown sugar; heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
  3. Pour into a greased/sprayed tube pan (I used a one-piece non-stick kind of angel food pan).
  4. Sprinkle coconut evenly over that.
  5. Prepare cake mix according to package directions; spoon cake batter over coconut.   Bake on middle shelf in a 350-degree oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until done.  (I checked for 'doneness' with a very thin/pointed wooden skewer).
  6. Cool for about 3 minutes; invert on plate.  Remove pan.
  7. Place well-drained apricots on top of the coconut layer.  Because I used an angel-food cake pan to bake this, I just piled the EXTRA Apricot halves into the center hole of the cake.
  8. Prepare glaze:  For glaze, mix 1 Tbsp.cornstarch and 2 tablespoons brown sugar in saucepan.  Add remaining apricot juice/syrup.  Bring to boil.  Cook until mixture is thickened (about five minutes?).  Spoon thickened hot/warm glaze over the top of cake and fruit, letting some run down the sides.
  9. Some may prefer to enjoy this cake while it's warm-- I liked mine best after it cooled for a few hours because the very tender cake part then firmed up a bit.  Suit yourself.

This cake reminds me a little of the 
Pineapple Upside Down cakes-- 
yes, but ...with an APRICOT flavor! 


No comments:

Post a Comment