Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Baked Pork Chops (without the commercial "cream of" soups)

I've made baked pork chops through the years and liked them a lot--  but, the recipes I had and used  called for commercially-canned "cream of" soups.  With the additives in them, I prefer to NOT use them.  That's why this recipe "jumped at me"--  I've baked the pork chops like this quite a few times, already, and I don't want to lose this.

INGREDIENTS:  

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. Paprika
1 and 1/2  tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

4-6 boneless pork chops
1/2 cup butter

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced (or equivalent of lemon juice)

2 cups milk
1/2 cup additional flour*

DIRECTIONS:

Mix the 1/2 cup of flour, Paprika, salt and pepper on a plate, or in a pan.  Dredge pork chops in this mixture.

Melt butter in a large skillet.  Add chops; brown on both sides.  Transfer to a shallow baking dish, set aside; add onion to skillet and saute` until tender.

Combine the 2 cups milk and the last 1/2 cup flour-- whisk or shake this until completely smooth.  (I like to give this mixture a few spins in a blender-type appliance to eliminate any lumps.)   When smooth, pour into the skillet with the sauteed onions.  Stir/whisk constantly until sauce is "bubbling/boiling" and thickened (continue "cooking" this for at least 2-3 minutes to "cook the flour").

Pour this hot sauce over the pork chops in a shallow baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, in a 350-degree oven for 1 hour.  (Because oven temperatures vary, check "progress" at 30 minutes and 45 minutes, to see if you might need to lightly cover them.)

* I use whatever was left of my first "dredging flour mix" as part of this 1/2 cup amount.  Because that "dredging flour" already has salt/pepper/Paprika in it, I do not add more seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment