Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Coleslaw (Or, as some write it, "Cole Slaw")

"Skinny" the above combination 
of goodness and get this:


This is now my favorite Coleslaw recipe.


I found this recipe for Coleslaw, and it is now a favorite of ours.  

Backing up a bit, a lot of Wisconsinites consider Friday to be "Fish Fry Day/Night" (it's sort of like our own special weekly HOLIDAY)!  Yes, for many, it is THAT special!  And,... one of the main "options" (sides) often  offered with the fish fry meal is Coleslaw.  I can eat almost any Cole Slaw, but that isn't true for my husband.  He doesn't like Coleslaw to have a strong "BITE" to it.

This recipe is different.  It is "mellow", yet flavorful.  Some say this is the recipe most similar to the Coleslaw that was or is (?) served at Chick-fil-A®---  I do not know about that because I do not live close to one of their restaurants.  For all I know, this could be a recipe from some cook who knew how to put just the right ingredients together (that wouldn't be me!). 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Bags (10 oz. each) of finely shredded cabbage and chopped to about 1/4" pieces.  (Instead of buying the bags, I used one small head of cabbage, removed and discarded the core, and "grated" chunks of cabbage in my food processor.  Doing it this way, I ended up with an extra 4 oz., but that didn't matter.)
  • 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrots (I first grated these, too, with my food processor and then, using the swirly blade in the food processor, I made the grated pieces a little bit smaller.)
  • 4 teaspoons red apple cider vinegar (plain white vinegar will work, too)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mayonnaise  (I used the Hellmann's® brand.)
DIRECTIONS:
  1.  Whisk vinegar, sugar, mustard and salt together until sugar is dissolved. 
  2. Add mayonnaise and whisk to mix. 
  3. Add cabbage and carrots. Mix to combine.
  4. Chill until serving time. 
  5. Refrigerate any left-over slaw.


No comments:

Post a Comment