Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Sunday, December 9, 2018

My FIRST Brownies

These days, with brownie mixes often being on sale, I don't know how many people make 'brownies from scratch', but...................... I couldn't resist putting this recipe on here.  It takes me way back to the late 60's when they were my only 'go to' and from my old Betty Crocker cookbook.  The 'addition' of the marshmallow layer and chocolate frosting came to me through Dolores S.  She'd make her brownies like this and treat us whenever there were R.S. doings or parties... she's a great cook/baker, period!

Ingredients:
  • 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

  • 2-3 cups miniature marshmallows, optional (spread on BAKED brownies)
 Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350° 
  2. Grease 13x9x2-inch pan.  (If I'm after very 'neat-looking' cut brownies, I'll line the pan with foil-- one lengthwise piece going up and over each end for a 'grab tab', and another for the width and going up/over sides and grease its surface.)
  3. Melt shortening and chocolate over low heat, or in microwave.
  4. Mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla.
  5. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix only until flour is incorporated.
  6. Spread in prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until sides begins to pull away from pan.  Do not over-bake.
  8. Upon removal from the oven, turn oven off; scatter a layer of miniature marshmallows over hot top and put back into hot oven ONLY long enough for them to soften. 
  9. Remove from oven and spread marshmallows.  Let cool for an hour.
  10. Top the marshmallow layer with chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
Not that it's necessary by any means, but........in order to get clean/exact/sharp cuts for these brownies, I freeze them for a few hours and then remove the 'whole slab of brownies' to a wood cutting board.  While they are frozen, and with using a long/sharp knife, I can get the 'neat/sharp edges'. 

CHOCOLATE FROSTING Ingredients:
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup sifted Hershey's cocoa
  • 1 and 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Directions:
1.  Melt butter.  Stir in cocoa.
2.  Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on med. speed until it is of spreading consistency.  Add more milk in very tiny quantities, if needed.  Stir in vanilla.  This makes about 1 cup of frosting, or just enough for a thin layer over the marshmallows.  If you like a thicker layer of frosting, double this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment