Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Raspberry "Surprises"

 Originally, this recipe was named Raspberry Treasures from http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Raspberry-Treasures Since I ended up changing things around, I call them my 'Surprises".  I guess because I'm surprised they turned out with how I made them.

INGREDIENTS:
  •  1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (I decided to add this)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • ----------------------------------------------
  • 1/2 cup raspberry filling* (Recipe was tested using Solo brand filling-- see my note.)
  • ----------------------------------------------
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon water

HOW TO MAKE:
  • In mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together.  Beat in vanilla. 
  • Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. 
  • Divide dough in half; wrap each portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
  • **On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.  Cut with a floured 3-inch round cookie cutter.  Place 1 teaspoon raspberry filling in the center of each.  Bring three edges together over filling, overlapping slightly (a small amount of filling with show); pinch edges gently.  In a small bowl, beat egg and water together until smooth; brush over dough.
  • Place 1-inch apart on ungreased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets.  Bake at 375-degrees for 10-12 minutes or until your oven has them a light golden brown.  Cool on pan for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.  Yield:  2 dozen if you make the tripod-shaped cookies.
*  I did NOT have raspberry 'filling' on hand, but I DID have raspberry preserves (jam).  Knowing the jam would run all over the place during baking, I did a search on how I could thicken this to work for me.  This is what I did:  I took 1/2 cup of the raspberry jam and added to it 1 tablespoon corn starch and then heated it until it thickened.  Cooled it on a plate for about an hour.  IT WORKED!!!!!!!!

** As you can see in the picture I posted with this recipe, I did not stick to the original way of making these.  I made just a few of the 'tripod' cookies (too much monkey work for me); then I put some raspberry filling between TWO solid rounds of the dough; after that, I put some filling on top of a solid round that was topped with a heart-cut-out round; and , finally, I spread filling on top of a rectangle of the dough and then rolled it up as I would a jelly roll and cut them into little slices.  It all worked, all taste the same-- some just look better!
 ▼ 

No comments:

Post a Comment