Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Nadine's Fruit Cake

Jokes are made about fruit cake-- 
how it makes for a good door stop, etc.
In my opinion, this fruit cake is 
nothing to joke about-- for sure, I will
never joke about it.  It's a real treat to/for 
me.  It's not a "cheap" cake to make, but, 
again, in my opinion, it is so worth 
whatever it costs to make it.
 My favorite FRUIT CAKE!!!, 
made by my sister Nadine!!!

Years ago, my sister Nadine got this recipe out of an issue of Farm Journal which many farmers subscribed to back them.  She makes this and shares with me.  It is my FAVORITE fruit cake.  I like it so much that I just cut off 1/4" slices at a time in order to make it last longer. 

Just lately, my daughter Cheryl made two variations of Fruit Cake-- both were very good, too.  She wants to try baking this recipe.  She WILL succeed, and I'm so happy about that!!!!!!!!!

Note:  This recipe has no Vanilla, no
other flavoring, and no spices in it.

Mix together, and beat vigorously with a spoon OR electric mixer for 2 minutes:  
1 cup cooking oil (such as Wesson oil, etc.)
l and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
Set aside for a little while.

 Sift together:
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon salt

Stir this dry combination into the above oil/sugar/egg mixture, ALTERNATELY with the next two "combined" ingredients:

1 cup pineapple OR 1 cup apple juice
1 cup more sifted flour

Set aside this batter until the following fruits are combined.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Mix together:

1 cup thinly sliced citron (6 oz.)
1 cup candied pineapple (1-inch pieces) ... about 4 slices
2 cups whole candied cherries 
3 cups seedless white raisins (1 lb.)
2 cups nuts left in large pieces

Now, pour the  "set aside" BATTER at the top over this assortment of  combined/mixed fruit, stirring evenly and thoroughly.

Now:  Oil the empty pans, first.  Next, line the two "oiled" loaf pans, 8.5"long x 4.5" wide x 2.5"deep (measured from the open top). with "oiled" brown paper.  Yes, oil the lining paper very well, too. It will look "dark" when it is well oiled.  (You can use the brown paper from brown paper grocery bags to line the pans, but do not use any brown paper with printing on it.  Cut and bend another piece of brown paper to cover  the side/bottom/side; another piece to cover end/bottom/end.  You can let the oiled brown lining paper stick up higher than the pan by about 1/2".)

Pour thick batter into the prepared pans.  

Place a pan of water on the lowest oven rack.  

PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 275-degrees.

Bake cakes 2.5 to 3.0 hours in a very "slow oven" (275-degrees), on the middle rack. 

After baking, let cakes stand 15 minutes before lifting from pan while in the paper liner.  Cool on racks without removing the paper.  Carefully remove the oiled  brown paper liners after the cakes are almost cool.  

Store by wrapping tightly in aluminum foil (I prefer to wrap in something else ahead of the aluminum foil) and THEN add the foil to wrap tightly).  

Place in a covered jar (?) in a cool place to "ripen".  By storing it in the freezer, I can enjoy this fruit cake a year later and think it's freshly made.  

This recipe makes a combined total of 3.25 lbs. of fruit/nut cake(s).

The recipe won FIRST PLACE for a baker at the fair.  






1 comment:

  1. I think that informational articles should be more like yours. By that I mean they should have character. Your article had character and is persuasive. Your views are very interesting. Custom Cake Boxes

    ReplyDelete