Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, December 2, 2011

Coconut Chews Bars (these are sweet!)


Because these are so sweet, I don't make them very often, but...from the first time I made these back in the late 60's, everyone liked them. 
FIRST INGREDIENTS (for crust layer):
¾ cup butter, softened
¾ c. powdered sugar
1 and ½ cup all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
Cream butter and sugar.  Blend in the flour.  Press evenly in bottom of ungreased 13x9x2” baking pan.  Bake at 330 degrees for 12-15 minutes (or until just lightly browned).  Remove from the oven and add the following:

MORE INGREDIENTS w/DIRECTIONS:
(This can be mixed/beaten together while the crust is baking.)
2 eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla
1 cup of flake coconut

Spread this over hot baked layer and bake for about 20 minutes  (or until lightly browned).   Cool completely before cutting.

While still warm, I sometimes drizzle a small amount of 'browned butter frosting' over their top.   (They are already sweet enough without any frosting, so go light if you do add some-- LIGHTER than what is shown in the picture on here!)

*This was a 'variation' recipe which was in an old Betty Crocker cookbook (early 1960's)

No comments:

Post a Comment