Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tortilla Rollup "Sandwiches"

These make up for a convenient (and, neat-to-eat) grab 'n go kind of replacement sandwich for while 'on the run', or 'going for a ride'.  This Summer, my daughter Paula got me started with making these, and she sent some with us for our trip from Utah to Portland, Oregon-- oh-h-h-h, so good!  Instead of using the regular white kind of tortillas, she buys these that are 100% whole wheat with just 1.5 g fat, 8 g fiber, with 5 g protein-- and are 9-10" across.  Each tortilla makes one large/long 'sandwich', or two 'small/shorters'.


INGREDIENTS:
  • Large flour tortillas
  • Cream cheese, whipped (or, mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, etc.)*  Lite versions work just fine!
  • Green lettuce and/or baby spinach leaves (I like 'em thick on mine!)  A thin/long slice of cucumber is great in these, too.  Pieces of green pepper?  Add what you like.
  • Deli ham slices (and/or, turkey, or beef, or chicken, or cheese, or  ???)
*Paula also introduced me to Beaver Brand Cranberry Mustard-- it's said to go great with turkey and other poultry meat.  But,...I like it with ham, also.

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Place tortillas on individual pieces of waxed paper, or Saran Wrap.
  2. Spread with the cream cheese, or salad spreads.
  3. Top with lettuce leaves, and meat/cheese of your choice.
  4. Roll up jelly roll-style.
  5. Wrap with the waxed paper/plastic wrap and keep chilled.
▼ 
If you wish to use these for something more 'fancy' than a wrap kind of sandwich, cut into 1/2" slices and serve on a plate lined with lettuce leaves.  Refrigerate left-overs promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment