I don't usually buy Reese's Peanut Butter cups, but,... these were half-price after Easter. That's a good enough excuse, right? Anyhow,... I bought some and saved them for this.
These sure are easy and quick to make! I don't show a picture of these little cookies made with a regular-sized Hershey Kiss on top, but... I think I like those even better than these because they are still very "chocolatey" but do not seem quite as sweeeeeeeeet.
- 1 and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, optional
- 36-40 miniature chocolate candies--chocolate covered peanut butter cups, OR regular-sized Hershey Kisses.
- Unwrap the candies (or have a little helper do it for you while you prepare the dough). Set unwrapped candy aside.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk (sour cream, optional).
- Add the flour mixture; mix well.
- Shape into about 36 small "balls" and place into an ungreased mini muffin pan like this...
Below: Because the dough is "sticky", I found it easier (and quicker) to just use my smallest cookie baller scooper thing and plop each portion into the mini muffin tin (I ended up with 36 "dumps") like this...
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. If you know your oven's temperature is "hotter" or "cooler" than it's supposed to be, adjust accordingly. When coming out of the oven, mine looked like this...
- Fresh out of the oven, immediately press a little peanut butter cup OR a Hershey Kiss down into the center of each ball.
- Let them cool, and then carefully remove them from the muffin tin. I used the tip of a small knife to nudge them loose. Each one came out easily.
Below: Here they are-- all ready to go to the party with us!