Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Polish Reuben Noodle Casserole (w/Sauerkraut)


Years back, I was drawn to this recipe for two reasons-- the egg noodles do not have to be cooked ahead of time, and... I LIKE SAUERKRAUT!!!!

INGREDIENTS:  

2 of 15-16 oz. cans sauerkraut, slightly rinsed and drained.
1 of 8 oz. package UNcooked medium width egg noodles.
............
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 and 1/3 cups milk
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
...........
1 and 1/2 pounds Polish sausage (OR Lite Kielbasa), cut into 1/2" slices.
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (or 8 oz. Swiss Cheese slices)
...........
3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs.
2 tablespoons butter, melted.

DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • Grease or spray a 9x13-inch baking dish. 
  • Spread the sauerkraut over bottom of the baking dish.
  • Top with UNcooked egg noodles.
  • Mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, prepared mustard, and chopped onion.  Stir until well blended.  Spoon this evenly over the top of the egg noodles.
  • Next, top with slices of sausage.
  • Add the layer of Swiss cheese.
  • Combine crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl; sprinkle over top. 
  • Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
  • Bake at 350-degrees for 1 hour, or until noodles are tender.
I'm often asked for this recipe whenever I 
take this casserole to pot luck 
doings, -- just yesterday, it happened again.

No comments:

Post a Comment