Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Creamy Chicken-Cheesy Casserole


The recipe and Directions are given down below.

I often make this casserole (or something similar to it), cover and refrigerate it in its baking dish overnight, cut it into "blocks" and then put those "blocks" into individual food containers like this...



I snap a cover on them and stick 'em into the freezer for at least a few hours.  After they are frozen enough to keep their shape, I vacuum seal and label  each "frozen block" for a very quick individual meal for one,... or a few.  (There's probably enough in each container to serve two.)  Up front, this might sound like a bunch of work, but... "meal blocks" like this can taste SO good when thawed, and reheated!  And,... they are SO convenient!  

This especially works well for when a casserole is large, but the family is small.  It beats eating the same  meal over and over until it's gone--  or, even worse, seeing it go to waste in the refrigerator.

If you want to see how I do this, check along the right side of this blog and look under "Labels".  I have a heading called "GADGETS I LIKE" and I show how I do this with my vacuum sealer.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 oz. dry medium egg noodles, prepared according to package directions (the same amount of cooked macaroni noodles also work for this.)
  • 1/2 cup (4 tablespoons) butter.
  • 6 long stalks celery, very finely chopped (include leaves).
  • 1 cup (1 medium) onion, chopped.
  • 1 pound cooked chicken, chopped into chunks (rotisserie chicken works great).
  • 2 cans of 10 oz. cream of chicken soup, not diluted.
  • 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk (NOT condensed milk).
  • 2 cups grated (8 ounces) cheddar cheese of your choice.
  • 1 cup (or 1 small package) of frozen green beans OR peas OR mixed vegetables OR ???.
  • 2/3 cup crushed potato chips, optional.  (I usually do not add these, because I seldom have any here.)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Cook the noodles. Drain.
  • While the noodles are cooking, combine the butter, celery and onion in a rather large pan and saute until just tender (about five minutes?).
  • Add the cooked/drained noodles.
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • Add the following:  Chicken meat, cream of chicken soup that's first  been smoothly blended together with the evaporated milk, grated cheese, and frozen vegetables of your choice.  Stir until everything is well mixed/blended together.  Pour into greased/sprayed 9x13-inch baking dish.  
                              

  • Top with crushed potato chips (optional).  If you don't use potato chips, you can sprinkle a little bit of extra cheese over the top during the last five minutes of baking.
  • Bake uncovered at 350-degrees for about 35 minutes, or until top is a light golden brown.  "Kinda sorta" like this...


Below:  I think we had three separate rain 
showers yesterday-- with sunshine in between!  
This makes for plenty of "mow the lawn" work.



No comments:

Post a Comment