Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie #1 (using corn starch as thickener)


Above:  We had quite a bit of rain at just 
the "right time" and the RHUBARB 
seemed to grow into little trees!


Rhubarb and strawberries
make great friends!


I paired them 
up and made a pie!

First, you'll need enough pie crust for a two-crust 9" pie.  Use your own favorite pie crust recipe, or use a store-bought crust.   My personal favorite pie crust recipe was first given to me by my sister Nadine-- it makes four single crusts and can be found in this blog under "Pie Crust" 


Filling:
  • 1 and 1/4 pounds sliced fresh rhubarb (or frozen rhubarb, thawed, drained, patted dry). This amount equals about 4 cups of fresh rhubarb. 
  • 4 cups thickly sliced (chunked) hulled strawberries  (about 1 lb.)
  • 1 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar 
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
Directions:
  • Put one crust into pie plate.
  • Combine rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl.  
  • After mixing/blending the sugar with the cornstarch, dump it over the fruit and stir to coat evenly/well.
  • Put fruit filling mixture into crust.  Dot with small dabs of butter.

Put top crust on fruit filling.  You can weave a lattice top crust or use a "cheater top" as shown in the picture below.   The "pie crust cutters" I like to use are shown in this same blog under the heading of "Gadgets"...  This link might take you to them:  http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/search/label/GADGETS%20I%20LIKE

Bake in a pre-heated 400-degree (F) oven for about 50-60 minutes.  Check the pie after the first 30 minutes and cover the crust's edge with aluminum foil if it's darkening too quickly.

Also!  As you can see from the picture below, this pie is one that likes to "boil/bubble" over.  I have a wipe-off kind of Teflon liner in the bottom of my oven to catch things like this.   If you don't, you'll want to sit this pie on or over something to catch the spill-over while it's baking.


Have a piece!

The next time I make this pie, I will use a 
more "CLOSED" kind of top crust.   
Why?   Because it's such a "boiler'bubbly" 
kind of pie while it's baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment