Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie #2 (with quick-cooking tapioca as the thickener)

Of the two rhubarb-strawberry pies I made 
yesterday, both turned out just fine. 
But!,... this recipe was our favorite.
After cooling over night, its slices kept a "better shape" 
and...it wasn't quite as sweet as the pie I named #1.

Above:  Here's another 
Rhubarb-Strawberry pie-- 
this recipe calls for quick-cooking 
tapioca to be the thickener.

Below:  This season, the rhubarb patch seemed to be its own kind of "forest".

Below:  My eyes LIKE looking at these two 
"friends" being so close together!
Seriously, though, whodathunk something so sweet 
would "get along" so well with something so...
PUCKERY!?!?!


You'll need enough crust for a double-crust pie.  Use your own favorite crust recipe, or use a store-bought crust.   I have a personal favorite crust recipe posted in this same blog under the heading of "Pie Crust"...it makes enough for FOUR single crusts and can be found at:
http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/search/label/Pie%20Crust

Before putting the crust into your pie plate, prepare the fruit filling and set aside.

Fruit filling:

  • 1 pound fresh strawberries, thickly sliced (chunks are good, too) 
  • 3 cups thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
  • 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
Place a single crust into 9" pie plate, leaving a little hanging over the edge.

Dump fruit filling into the crust.

Dot the top of the fruit with little dabs of butter, like this...


Cover the top of the fruit with whatever kind of crust top you like-- lattice, or solid, etc.  OR, ... if you have a favorite "cheater/lazy" kind of crust cutter, you can use that.  My favorite "cheater crust cutters" are shown in this blog and can be found at:  http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/search/label/GADGETS%20I%20LIKE

If you choose to use a more solid kind of crust, make sure you cut ample "vent holes" in it.

Preheat oven to 375-degrees (F) and bake for about 50-60 minutes (the filling will be boiling/bubbling).  BUT!, after the first 30 minutes, check pie occasionally and cover edges of crust with foil, if necessary, to prevent excess browning.  

Since this pie is a "bubbler/boiler" kind, it can make a mess in your oven if you don't place something underneath it-- I have a removable wipe-off kind of Teflon liner in the bottom of my oven to catch things like that, but I'd certainly put foil on a shelf BELOW the pie if I didn't.



Below:  ...and this is how it turned out!


Scroll down to see another recipe for  RHUBARB-STRAWBERRY PIE-- the one I named #1-- it calls for CORN STARCH AS THE THICKENER.

No comments:

Post a Comment