Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baked Bean "Pie"

This was adapted from a 1967 Better Homes and Gardens book entitled Jiffy Cooking. (This IS 'Jiffy', alright!)
A relish tray of 'crunchy' is a good addition.

There were some times through the years when things got unexpectedly busy around the farm and I hadn't planned ahead... for that to happen!  So,... every now and then, it was "Open a can of Spam, and another of pork 'n beans."  This recipe is that, but with just a tiny bit more.

If you're one of those who HATE Spam, you could stand halves of your favorite 'hot dog' on end all around the pie plate.   If you hate that idea, too, you could be creative...or, ignore this altogether.

Yield:  Serves 3 or 4
You'll need:  9" pie plate

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 of 28 oz. pork 'n beans (I used Bush's maple-flavored)
  • 2 tablespoons hot dog relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant minced onion, optional
  • ............................
  • 1 of 12-ounce can luncheon meat (I used low-sodium Spam)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or you could use maple-flavored syrup)
  • ..............................
  • 1/4 cup shredded sharp process American cheese (I used Colby Jack real cheese)

DIRECTIONS:
  • Slightly drain pork 'n beans (I drained off most of the juice, but saved it until I found out if I'd need to re-add any of it.)
  • Combine beans, hot dog relish, and onion; bring to 'hot/bubbly' in a saucepan over medium heat.
  • Pour bean mixture into pie plate.
  • Brush slices of luncheon meat with syrup.
  • Slide the pieces of luncheon meat into the beans (in vertical position), around the edge of the pie plate. 
  • Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until meat is lightly browned;  Remove from oven.
  • Sprinkle grated cheese on top, and return to oven until cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment