Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oven-Finished Chicken (lower fat version)

I make up the coating mix, put it in a jar with the recipe taped to its outside, like this... 

COATING MIX RECIPE FOR CHICKEN
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons salt ('low-sodium people' can/will adjust/adapt this, I'm sure)
  • 2 tablespoons pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Yield:  2 ½ cups coating mix (enough for about 3 batches, 4-6 servings per batch).
OTHER INGREDIENTS: 
1 egg
¼  cup milk
1 broiler (2 ½ to 3 ½ pounds) cut up, remove skin and trim fat.
Oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:
  • Combine the first nine dry ingredients and mix together very well; store in an air-tight container.
  • In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk. 
  • Place just ¾ cup of the dry seasoned coating mix in another small bowl. 
  • Remove skin from chicken  and trim visible fat (I used kitchen shears for this.)  In the next photo, I show that I trimmed off one heaping measuring cup of skin and visible fat from just eight thigh pieces of chicken.  I've blurred the photo on purpose because there's nothing 'attractive' about this-- not in the cup, not anywhere! 
  • Blot chicken dry with paper towel, dip it into the egg mixture and let excess drip off; roll in coating mix to cover.
  • Heat ¼ in. of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown chicken on all sides.
  • Transfer to a foil-lined and lightly sprayed 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
  • Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until juices run clear.


 Here, try a piece!  My opinion:  I don't even miss the 'missing skin/fat' because the coating does a great job of adding a delicious and browned covering.


I adapted this recipe from one I saw in a Contest Winning Recipes book from Taste of Home.  I think it was in the 2004 edition, and my recipe card says it was a recipe from Dawn Supina, Edmonton, Alberta.   Changes I made:  I cut egg/milk mix in half and I removed the skin/visible fat from the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment