Mainly, I only changed the kind of sausage and beans--and I used whole grain rotini pasta.Besides the main ingredients, I like all of the 'background' flavors in here-- because everything blends together so well, nothing in particular stands out to say, "HERE I AM!!!!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, sliced (I used a 1 lb. tube of Jimmy Dean sage flavored pork sausage)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 broth can water
- 1 can (15 oz.) white cannellini beans, rinsed (I used black beans, rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup rotini pasta, uncooked (I used whole grain rotini)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (or wait until finished and season to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Saltine crackers
- Fry sausage and onions in oil in large saucepan until done (10 minutes?), sirring frequently. When almost done, add the minced garlic. Drain fat off.
- Add chicken broth, water, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rotini pasta and salt; cook 8 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in spinach leaves; cover. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Offer shredded cheese at serving time. Serve with saltine crackers.