Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chick 'n Pea Noodle Casserole

If you already have some cooked chicken on hand, this is a quickie!*
This makes for a great 'blocker' meal. By that, I'm referring to freezing 'blocks' of this for a future meal. You can see how I do this with the FoodSaver vacuum sealer-- I posted about it in the category of "Gadgets I Like".




INGREDIENTS:

  • 2-3 cups cooked/cubed chicken meat
  • 8-12 oz. medium width egg noodles, cook according to directions on the package.
  • 1 of 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 of 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup thick sour cream
  • 1-2 cups frozen peas
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup crumbled Ritz crackers (saltines may also work)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cut and cube chicken meat (I like to use what's left of a rotisserie chicken.)
  2. Boil egg noodles, according to directions. Drain.
  3. While egg noodles are cooking, combine the two soups and sour cream-- stir in the chunks of chicken.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
  4. When noodles are cooked and drained, add the frozen peas, the blended soup/chicken mixture and stir gently.
  5. Put into sprayed 9x13-inch baking dish.
  6. Pour melted butter over crumbled crackers and stir to coat.
  7. Sprinkle the cracker mixture on top of the casserole and bake at 350-degrees for about 45 minutes or until hot/bubbly and golden brown on top.
  8. Serve as is OR with grated cheese, or sour cream. I have one who likes a dab of ketchup on this.

* You could easily 'do your own thing' with this casserole by adding celery, onion, mushrooms, water chestnuts for extra 'crunchiness', different vegetables, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment